Zoomer - a generation to look out for
September 09, 2020
Zoomer is a nickname referring to members of Generation Z, those born during 1997-2012. Its use is particularly popular as a contrast to baby boomers. As an “always on” generation, they were born digital native in the context of technological environment.
Interesting facts and figures about Gen Z on their thoughts about futures:
- 86 percent said they think the future will be characterized by worsening climate disasters;
- 68 percent believe that economic problems will grow more pronounced;
- 63 percent said they expect to see more global conflicts in their lifetimes;
- Do not expect the adults in charge to do anything to help— they had “zero trust” in the country’s leadership;
- Using a platform to express their opinion or even to protest in solidarity.
During the pandemic crisis, this generation has witnessed the burden from their parents in case of coverage on universal healthcare when risking themselves with pandemic or even debt from tuition fee even before entering the workforce.
Future implication: As the coming leader, Generation Z will be the new wave of leader position in the next 10-20 years. Taking stock on Gen Z’s thoughts as well as the way how global intervention on economic or pandemic crisis may shape the way of future leadership.